160/365 Misty Mallard


Getting up early sometimes gives you the edge over images taken later in the day.  Wanting to photograph the osprey in one of the previous posts (here), I was on site about 20mins before sunrise.  Looking at the weather forecast the night before and expecting a clear blue sky (which it was), what I didn’t realise was that the reservoir was going to have a very thick layer of mist hanging over the top of it.  Within an hour this mist was gone, being burnt off by the heat of the sun.  Knowing that the best pictures would be taken through the mist towards the sun I positioned myself in the best spot and waited for the sun to come up over the horizon.   To say it was fantastic was an understatement.  I would have been more than happy just to watch this scene unfold in front of me with mysterious shapes and shadows dancing around in the mist being backlit by the rising sun.  Im just glad there was a fair bit of activity with gulls and ducks making fairly regular appearances and coming within camera range for a decent photograph.

Mallard, Anas platyrhynchos, Upton Warren, Worcestershire, September, 2012.
Canon 5d MK3 with Canon 500mm f/4 L IS lens.

 

108/365 Mallard under willow tree


I’ve been editing some images recently and came across this one I took last autumn.  I really like this image as its so rich in textures and colours. Its of a drake Mallard and is very chilled out sitting underneath this over hanging Willow tree.

Mallard, Anas platyrhynchos, Gloucestershire. 2011.
Canon 1d MkIV with Canon 500mm f/4  L IS lens.

As always, please click on the image to enlarge.

048/365 Mallard reflection


Image 048, is of a drake Mallard coming into land on a very calm piece of water resulting in a great reflection. It isn’t very often that all the elements come together but when they do, you need to be on top of your game and make the most of it.

Mallard, Anas platyrhynchos, Gailey, Staffordshire.
Canon 40D with Canon 500m F/4.0 L IS lens.

Mallards in snow!


After editing some images from last year I decided to give myself a break and head down to the local pond to see what I could photograph in the snow.  90% of the pool was frozen over and the other 10% was covered in roughly 150 Mallards, 1 Canada Goose, 1 captive Pintail and an assortment of feral geese type things.  After putting some grain down I concentrated on getting some pictures of the Mallards in the snow.  I quite like the Mallard flying so I will be going down there again soon when the sun comes out to play to better this picture.  There were Moorhen, Coot and a Green Woodpecker present aswell.  Here are the results: